Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesday the 13th

Did you know that the concept of "Friday the 13th" doesn't exist in Spain? Instead, the unlucky day is Tuesday the 13th (also known as today.) I'm told the Friday-Tuesday switch has to do with Tuesday's association in many languages with Ares/Mars, the god of war (in Spanish, Tuesday is Martes.) Also, the fall of Constantinople happened on a Tuesday, which explains why the Greeks aren't so wild about it, either.

Anyway, despite the anxieties of various Spanish friends, I am happy to report that nothing untoward happened to me today (and it's 11:42 PM, so I'm hoping I can get off scot-free saying that. If no one hears from me in the next 48 hours, send out a search party armed with four leaf clovers and pennies picked up from the sidewalk.)

No comments: